- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Place your Dutch oven over medium heat or on a grill grate over a campfire to preheat it. If using a campfire, you can place some coals beneath and on top of the Dutch oven to provide even heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; a few lumps are okay.
- Carefully remove the preheated Dutch oven from the heat. Grease the inside of the Dutch oven with a little butter or cooking spray.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the Dutch oven, spreading it evenly.
- Cover the Dutch oven with its lid. If cooking on a campfire, you can place some coals on the lid for even baking.
- Bake the cornbread in the preheated oven or over the campfire for about 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Carefully remove the Dutch oven from the oven or campfire using heat-resistant gloves.
- Let the cornbread cool slightly before slicing and serving.
- Enjoy your warm and delicious Dutch oven cornbread as a side dish with soups, stews, or your favorite meals.
This simple cornbread recipe is a fantastic addition to your outdoor cooking experience, adding a comforting touch to your camping or backyard gatherings.